Monday, November 5, 2007

Insurance - Gambling With Your Vacation

In a previous post a few months back, I talked about travel insurance and how to go about finding the right one for you. The thing about travel insurance is its a gamble if you get it, and a gamble if you don't. I hear people all the time say that they don't need it because they have health insurance through work. But how many people really know what their insurance covers? Will it work when out of the country? Does it cover being airlifted off a cruise ship? The fact is that many health insurance plans don't not to mention the other things that travel insurance covers that one may not think of such as getting left behind, flight delays, and even having a vacation cut short due to unforeseen circumstances. We used to pass on travel insurance in the past and gamble on the fact that we would never use it, but have changed our outlook on the whole thing recently. I would rather take the gamble that I may need it and be wrong than the other way around. I know my odds of winning the lottery, but still buy a ticket for the chance that one time it happens and I will be happy I did. This is how I now look at travel insurance. My advice to anyone that is unsure on whether or not they need it is to ask yourself just how much of a gambler are you? Maybe that will help a little in making your decision.

No comments: